Teeth whitening in Woodland Hills is one of the simplest treatments to dramatically enhance your smile. At Personalee Dental in Woodland Hills, California, James Lee, DDS, and the team use Zoom!® in-office whitening to remove up to eight shades of staining from your teeth in as little as one visit. Teeth whitening is a safe, effective treatment for dull, yellow teeth. To schedule a whitening visit with the team, call Personalee Dental or book an appointment online today.
What is Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening in Woodland Hills is a cosmetic dental procedure aimed at removing stains and discoloration from the teeth and making them appear whiter and brighter. It involves the use of various products and techniques, such as bleaching agents, lasers, and special lights, to break down and remove the pigments and debris that cause discoloration on the teeth.
There are several reasons why teeth may become discolored, including age, genetics, lifestyle factors (such as smoking, drinking coffee or red wine), certain medications, and poor oral hygiene. Teeth whitening treatments can help to restore the natural whiteness of teeth and improve the overall appearance of a person’s smile.
It is important to note that teeth whitening should always be carried out by a licensed dental professional, as some over-the-counter products may be ineffective or even harmful if used incorrectly. Additionally, not everyone is a good candidate for teeth whitening, as certain dental conditions or existing restorations (such as dental crowns or fillings) may be affected by the treatment.
Why Should You See a Dentist for Teeth Whitening in Woodland Hills?
It is recommended to see a dentist in Woodland Hills for teeth whitening for several reasons:
- Professional assessment: A dentist can examine your teeth to determine the cause of discoloration and assess whether you are a good candidate for teeth whitening. They can also identify any underlying dental issues that may need to be addressed before the treatment.
- Customized treatment: A dentist can customize the treatment to your individual needs and preferences, taking into account factors such as the severity of discoloration, sensitivity, and existing dental restorations.
- Safe and effective products: A dentist uses professional-grade teeth whitening products that are safe and effective, and are designed to minimize sensitivity and avoid damage to the teeth and gums.
- Supervision and monitoring: A dentist can monitor the progress of the treatment and adjust it if necessary, to ensure optimal results and minimize any potential side effects.
- Long-lasting results: Teeth whitening performed by a dentist can provide longer-lasting results than over-the-counter products, as they use stronger and more effective whitening agents and take extra steps to ensure the treatment is applied correctly.
Overall, seeing a dentist for teeth whitening is a safer and more effective way to achieve a brighter, whiter smile, while minimizing the risk of complications and maximizing the benefits of the treatment.
Benefits of Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening offers several benefits, including:
- Enhanced appearance: Teeth whitening can remove stains and discoloration caused by age, diet, and lifestyle habits, such as smoking or drinking coffee, tea, or red wine, and provide a brighter, more youthful-looking smile.
- Boosted confidence: A brighter smile can improve your self-esteem and confidence, making you feel more comfortable and confident in social and professional situations.
- Improved oral health: Teeth whitening can motivate people to take better care of their teeth and maintain good oral hygiene habits, such as brushing and flossing regularly, and visiting the dentist for routine checkups and cleanings.
- Long-lasting results: Teeth whitening treatments performed by a dentist can provide longer-lasting results compared to over-the-counter products, as they use stronger and more effective whitening agents and take extra steps to ensure the treatment is applied correctly.
- Safe and non-invasive: Teeth whitening is a non-invasive and safe procedure, and when performed by a dental professional, it can minimize the risk of complications and damage to the teeth and gums.
Overall, teeth whitening can improve the appearance of your smile, boost your confidence, and encourage better oral hygiene habits, making it a worthwhile investment in your overall health and well-being.
What to Avoid After Your Teeth Whitening Appointment in Woodland Hills?
After your teeth whitening appointment in Woodland Hills, it is important to avoid certain foods, drinks, and habits that could stain your teeth or compromise the results of the treatment. Here are some things to avoid:
- Staining beverages: Avoid drinking beverages that can stain your teeth, such as coffee, tea, red wine, and soda, for at least 24-48 hours after the treatment.
- Acidic foods: Avoid consuming acidic foods and drinks, such as citrus fruits, tomatoes, and vinegar, which can weaken the enamel of your teeth and make them more susceptible to staining.
- Tobacco products: Avoid smoking or using any tobacco products, as they can stain your teeth and compromise the results of the treatment.
- Colored foods: Avoid consuming foods that are highly pigmented, such as berries, beets, and dark chocolate, which can stain your teeth.
- Toothpaste and mouthwash: Avoid using any toothpaste or mouthwash that contains whitening agents or abrasive particles, as they can strip away the protective enamel of your teeth and cause sensitivity.
- Extreme temperatures: Avoid consuming extremely hot or cold foods and drinks, as they can cause sensitivity in your teeth.
- Dental treatments: Avoid any dental treatments or procedures, such as getting a filling or crown, for at least two weeks after the teeth whitening treatment.
By following these guidelines, you can ensure that your teeth whitening treatment provides optimal results and a brighter, more youthful-looking smile.
Why Would I Need Professional Teeth Whitening in Woodland Hills, CA?
As you age, it’s normal to see your once-white teeth darken or turn yellow. There are many reasons your teeth change color over time. That is particularly true if you regularly consume foods, beverages, and medications, such as:
- Coffee and tea
- Red wine
- Soy sauce
- Marinara sauce
- Dark fruits and berries
- Sports drinks
- Tobacco use
- Antibiotics (tetracycline and doxycycline)
The enamel on the outside of your teeth protects the softer dentin underneath. The thicker your enamel, the whiter your teeth appear. As you age, your enamel naturally deteriorates, exposing the darker dentin underneath. Some people have naturally thicker enamel, while others are genetically predisposed to thin enamel.
What Happens During Professional Teeth Whitening in Woodland Hills?
Zoom! in-office teeth whitening in Woodland Hills uses a hydrogen peroxide-based solution to remove deep tooth stains. Before applying the whitening gel, Dr. Lee and the team use a protective barrier to cover your gums and lips during treatment. The gel settles into your teeth for about 15 minutes while the team activates the LED light.
Most people require three 15-minute sessions. However, Dr. Lee tailors the treatment to your specifications so your treatment may take longer than 45 minutes to achieve the desired results.
Immediately after the treatment, the team applies a special fluoride treatment to protect and nourish your newly whitened teeth.
Along with regular brushing and flossing, avoiding foods and beverages that stain your teeth can help you maintain your results. You can also return to Personalee Dental for additional whitening treatments.
To learn more about professional teeth whitening, call Personalee Dental or schedule an appointment online today.